My research interests include stress and social processing, the perception of prejudice, social influence and group processes (especially during internet communication), the desire for control and stress reduction.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Group Processes
- Health Psychology
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Baron, R. S., & Kerr, N. (2003). Group process, group decision, group action (2nd ed.). Open University Press.
- Baron, R. S. (2000). Arousal, capacity, and intense indoctrination. Review of Personality and Social Psychology, 4, 238-254. [Reprinted in Cultic Studies Journal (2002), 18, 172-207.]
- Baron R. S., & Bellman S. B. (2007). No guts, no glory: Courage, harassment and minority influence. European Journal of Social Psychology, 37, 101-124.
- Baron, R. S., Hoppe, S., Linneweh, B., & Rogers, D. (1996). Social corroboration and opinion extremity. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 32, 537-560.
- Baron, R. S., VanDello, J., & Brunsman, B. (1996). The forgotten variable in conformity research: The impact of task importance on social influence. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 71, 915-927.
- Chambers J. R., Baron, R. S., & Inman, M. (2006) Misperceptions in intergroup conflict: Disagreeing about what we disagree about. Psychological Science, 17, 38-45.
- Evans, D. C., Garcia, D. J., Baron, R. S., & Garcia, D. M. (2003). In the privacy of their own homes: Using the internet to assess racial bias. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 29, 273-284.
- Krizan, Z., & Baron, R. S. (2007). Self categorization and group polarization: Does outgroup position affect attitude? European Journal of Social Psychology, 37, 191-204.
- Marti, M., Bobier, D., & Baron, R. S. (2000) Prototypicality, automaticity, accessibilty and prejudice recognition: Blinded by the unexpected. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 3, 403-418.
- McLeod, P., Baron, R. S., Marti, M. W., & Yoon, K. (1997). The eyes have it: Minority influence in face to face and computer mediated group discussion. Journal of Applied Psychology, 82(5), 706-718.
- Baron, R. S. (in press). Brainwashing. In R. Baumeister & K. D. Vohs (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Social Psychology. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Baron, R. S. (in press). Social facilitation. In J. Levine & M. Hogg (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Group Processes and Intergroup Relations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Baron, R. S. (2005). So right it’s wrong: Groupthink and the ubiquitous nature of self censorship. In M. Zanna (Ed.), Advances in experimental social psychology (Vol. 37, pp. 219-253). San Diego: Elsevier.
- Baron, R. S., Crawley, K., & Paulina, D. (2003). Aberrations of power: Leadership in totalist groups. In D. Knippenberg & M. Hogg (Eds.), New Perspectives in Leadership. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Attitudes and Persuasion
- Elementary Psychology
- Environmental Stress
- Psychology of Attitudes
- Psychology of Stress
- Small Group Processes
Department of Psychology
University of Iowa
11 Seashore Hall E
Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1407
United States of America
- Phone: (319) 335-2453